Please Register For Full Access To Merlin Warez ×

A new wildlife resident

• Founder

Our native animal species are being decimated by invasive species from all just about everywhere I believe. Florida is overrun Burmese pythons and multiple species of Asian carp. There's so many invaders I can't list them all. The impact of this invasion is widespread and affects the balance of natural ecology here. If there is a solution it won't come soon enough for most native species.

• Thanks 2
  • Founder

That's great news about Scotland. Hopes should be high for a very positive outcome.

The snakehead fish are scary looking. That's not a scientific observation, obviously. These species are pervasive here. Maybe that's because they have no natural predators or competition for resources here.

• Thanks 2

I had to give up on the help to build a hog house for my Hedgehog. So I had to order one from a local charity that will make one to suit my needs and my ability to look after it. I also have some good news, a few days ago I saw the mother carrying a small baby in it's mouth, then today I saw a much older one looking about 4-5" long that came to eat the food I had put out. That was such a surprise, I can only think that it was last years baby... but I'm thrilled, we have a family now.  My move to commission a hog house was good.  So I am putting out more food to accommodate the mother and the youngster as well.  My goodness, I hope it will be big enough for my family of hogs.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

They are going through the dog food now at an increasing rate, I'll have to buy another tin tomorrow, good job it's quite cheap.  I put out 2 lots today and by late afternoon, it was all gone.  I looks like I will have to increase the portion sizes that I freeze, to keep it fresh.  My goodness they are greedy.  But they have to put on weight to survive hibernation. Estimates are around 600gms to survive.

• Thanks 2
16 hours ago, Merlin said:

Domesticated hedgehogs are smaller than natural habitat hedgehogs. I've never seen one as large as the one with your cat, Gregorius. And the markings of domestics are lighter color. But essentially the same only very cuddly and friendly.

Your house may not be big enough once the word gets out, Kath. Safety in numbers for them as for us. You may have to commission a larger refuge for them next year.

Keep us updated on the hedgehog story.

In Switzerland and in neighboring Italy it has been forbidden for some years to raise a European hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus)  at home and treat it as a pet, because, like foxes or deer, hedgehogs are considered wild animals. The law, however, allows you to keep a hedgehog in your garden only if the animal has decided to come and live in your yard.
The hedgehog I photographed is not a domestic hedgehog but a hedgehog that lives in the wild in my backyard. It is a European hedgehog specimen that can reach 25/30 cm (9,8/11.8 in.) in length and up to 1 kilo (2.2 lb) in weight.

Hedgehogs that can be adopted are African hedgehogs (Atelerix albiventris, A. pruneri, A. faradjius - See pics below). These are now bred and widespread throughout Europe.

The main differences between European and African hedgehogs are in size. The latter are in fact much smaller than the former and are sometimes referred to as pygmy hedgehogs. They weigh a maximum of 400g (14 oz) and are 16 cm (6.3 in)long. African hedgehogs also do not hibernate, which is ideal for a pet.

It seems to me, but I am not sure of this, that hedgehogs live only in Europe, Africa and Asia, while the hedgehogs in America were introduced by man as pets and are those of the African species.

RPUJPOF.jpg

3v58MYM.jpg

oNFZniF.jpg

t77CxSz.jpg

YBk9GjL.jpg

m1DqFS1.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Winner 1
  • Founder
3 hours ago, Gregorius said:

In Switzerland and in neighboring Italy it has been forbidden for some years to raise a European hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus)  at home and treat it as a pet, because, like foxes or deer, hedgehogs are considered wild animals. The law, however, allows you to keep a hedgehog in your garden only if the animal has decided to come and live in your yard.
The hedgehog I photographed is not a domestic hedgehog but a hedgehog that lives in the wild in my backyard. It is a European hedgehog specimen that can reach 25/30 cm (9,8/11.8 in.) in length and up to 1 kilo (2.2 lb) in weight.

Hedgehogs that can be adopted are African hedgehogs (Atelerix albiventris, A. pruneri, A. faradjius - See pics below). These are now bred and widespread throughout Europe.

The main differences between European and African hedgehogs are in size. The latter are in fact much smaller than the former and are sometimes referred to as pygmy hedgehogs. They weigh a maximum of 400g (14 oz) and are 16 cm (6.3 in)long. African hedgehogs also do not hibernate, which is ideal for a pet.

It seems to me, but I am not sure of this, that hedgehogs live only in Europe, Africa and Asia, while the hedgehogs in America were introduced by man as pets and are those of the African species.

RPUJPOF.jpg

3v58MYM.jpg

oNFZniF.jpg

t77CxSz.jpg

YBk9GjL.jpg

m1DqFS1.jpg

Exactly so. That is the kind of hedgehog I’ve seen here and only as a pet.

Thanks Gregorius!

• Thanks 1
  • Check 1
  • Founder

She may have a new litter she's tending to? I'm sure she's fine. You must ascribe a name for her so we use it. And the junior one, too 😉

The last photo in Gregorius' of the little fellow on a log with brightly colored leaves is adorable. They are the most adorable pets. But I'm still a dog man. Always will be.

• Thanks 2

Well obviously the large one is a female, so how about Hettie for her, the juvenile, I have no idea, so I guess we call him/her Jude, it works for both male & female.  I'm hoping you're right Merlin, going back to my earlier observation of her carrying something across the garden, I think you might be right.  I certainly didn't see the juvenile for a number of weeks after she arrived.  I'm hoping she made a nest under the shed, it's the safest place until I get my hoghouse.

• Thanks 1
  • Check 1