Please Register For Full Access To Merlin Warez ×

Russia-Ukraine war: Key things to know about the conflict

• Chamberlain

Nearly one month has passed since the biggest land invasion in Europe since World War II, and there have been no major breakthroughs on the battlefield or the negotiating table.

Russian forces appeared bogged down outside major cities in the face of fierce Ukrainian resistance. Strikes on cities continued to wreak destruction across the country.

Ukraine's capital Kyiv shook early Wednesday with Russian shelling that sparked fires in high-rise buildings, injuring four people. Russian bombs destroyed a critical bridge that had connected Ukraine's encircled city of Chernihiv to the capital and allowed aid to get inside.

In Kyiv's suburbs, artillery thundered as Ukrainian forces fought tooth and nail to hold back the Russian invasion.

Western intelligence assessments say Russia’s military losses are mounting. But human suffering is deepening in Ukraine’s besieged and ruined cities, where people are fighting to survive with little food, water, power or heat.

President Joe Biden is set to head to Brussels on Wednesday to meet NATO leaders about the war.

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF UKRAINIAN CITIES UNDER ATTACK?

The capital of Kyiv remains under fire. Barrages of shelling and loud gunfire rocked the city on Wednesday, striking a shopping mall and high-rise buildings in the districts of Sviatoshynskyi and Shevchenkivskyi.

Fires from shelling injured four residents, city officials said. The wail of air raid sirens sounded out. Plumes of smoke rose over the western outskirts.

Russian forces were bombing the ancient city of Chernihiv in northern Ukraine, the governor said Wednesday, destroying a key bridge that connected the encircled city to Kyiv.

The bridge was critical for evacuations and aid deliveries into besieged Chernihiv, where city officials say residents are without clean water and gas for cooking and heating.

On the capital’s western outskirts, Ukrainian troops were trying to strike back at stalled Russian forces. Ukrainian forces managed on Tuesday to retake the suburban city of Makariv, allowing them to claw back a critical highway and block Russian troops from surrounding Kyiv from the northwest.

Some 460 settlements in the surrounded Kyiv suburbs were now cut off from the power grid, local officials said.

Russian and Ukrainian forces were also battling fiercely on Wednesday for control of the town of Izium in eastern Ukraine, the Ukrainian president's office said.

Russian warships are increasingly pounding the port city of Mariupol from the sea, Western intelligence officials assess, noting that about seven Russian ships are in the area, including a minesweeper and landing vessels.

Controlling Mariupol would give Russia a coveted land corridor to Crimea, which Moscow annexed eight years ago.

The U.S. has calculated that Russia has lost more than 10% of its original combat capacity, including troops, tanks and other materiel. The Pentagon says Ukrainian forces have begun to go on the offensive in parts of the country, like the southern city of Kherson that was captured earlier in the war.

Britain's defense ministry described the war on Wednesday as largely “static,” with Russian forces trying to reorganize and rally before resuming a large-scale assault.

WHAT IS HAPPENING IN MARIUPOL?

Mariupol, a strategic port city on the Sea of Azov, has become a vivid symbol of the war’s savage destruction.

Some 100,000 people remain trapped inside the city, Ukraine's president says, struggling to survive without heat, food or clean water and subject to relentless Russian bombardment from the sea and skies.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said 7,000 people managed to escape in the latest evacuation on Tuesday. He also accused the Russians of seizing a humanitarian convoy trying to get desperately needed food and other supplies into the bloodied city, and of taking the drivers captive.

His office warned that refugees from Mariupol are increasingly endangered by the waves of shelling.

Russian missiles have slammed into civilian buildings — including a school and a theater known to be sheltering hundreds of people underground. Bodies are shoved into mass graves.

In the words of U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres it’s a “living hell.”

In the latest from Zelenskyy, it’s “inhumane.”

In the eyes of Viktoria Totsen, 39, who arrived in a Polish border town Tuesday after fleeing the city, it’s “99% destroyed.”

WHAT HAS THE AP DIRECTLY WITNESSED OR CONFIRMED?

More than 3.5 million people have fled the war in Ukraine, according to the U.N. refugee agency, as the humanitarian situation worsens.

Ukrainians who escaped pitched battles spoke to The Associated Press in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv, where thousands were arriving and thousands more were leaving to join a mass Ukrainian exodus into Poland and other nations.

Julia Krytskaa choked back tears at the Lviv train station while describing what she fled in Mariupol.

“People don’t have water, they drink water that’s not even the water you would use for technical purposes," she said. "There is no one you can ask for help.”

In the Ukrainian seaside city of Odesa, fondly known as the Pearl of the Black Sea, street musicians played under cloudless skies as people fled.

Odesa has so far avoided the worst of Russia’s onslaughts, but a major attack on Ukraine's biggest port city seems inevitable. Anxiety is growing. The streets are stacked with sandbags and barricades. Tearful families waved goodbye to loved ones at the train station.

“I can’t understand what has happened," Igor Topsi, a musician, told the AP.

HOW IS THE WORLD RESPONDING TO THE WAR?

President Biden heads to Brussels on Wednesday for talks with key allies, an effort to try to halt the war's tailspin into an even greater catastrophe.

Biden is expected to roll out new sanctions on Russia and coordinate more military assistance for Ukraine. He's also working on long-term efforts to boost defenses in Eastern Europe and wean the continent off Russian oil and gas, the White House said.

International investigations of possible war crimes and other violations committed in the war are underway. The Swiss attorney general’s office says it has started collecting evidence from Ukrainian refugees in an effort to expose potential crimes and breaches of sanctions stemming from the conflict.

The United Nations on Wednesday will face three resolutions on the spiraling humanitarian situation in Ukraine — each one hinting at bitter political divisions within the world body.

One resolution supported by Ukraine and the West holds Russia responsible for the humanitarian crisis. A second sponsored by South Africa makes no mention of Russia at all. A Russian Security Council resolution on the war says nothing about its invasion.

Security services in Poland, the country that has welcomed the largest share of Ukrainian refugees, said they were seeking to expel 45 Russian secret service officers and their associates who had previously enjoyed diplomatic status in the country.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/russia-ukraine-war-key-things-conflict-83615821

• Thanks 2

A Kremlin adviser resigns and Ukrainian territory regained - Ukraine's latest war round-up

Russia is facing numerous setbacks as its invasion of Ukraine heads into a second month.

In the battlefield, Ukrainian forces have managed to push back Russian advances around the west of the capital, Kyiv.

And in the Kremlin itself, one of Russian President Vladimir Putin's top advisers has resigned.

Heavy shelling does, however, continue across numerous cities in Ukraine, including Kyiv.

The northern city of Chernihiv is also isolated after a key bridge connecting it to Kyiv was destroyed earlier today, regional authorities say.

Ukraine war: Ukrainian fightback gains ground west of Kyiv

Ukrainian troops are counter-attacking Russian forces in some areas of the country, with reports that they have gained ground near the capital, Kyiv.

Local authorities in the town of Makariv, west of Kyiv, said Ukrainian flags were flying there once more.

A US defence spokesman said Ukrainians were also reversing momentum in some parts of the south.

In the small southern town of Voznesensk, Russian forces were pushed back and an armoured convoy destroyed.

And in Kherson, close to the Crimean peninsula and the first city to fall to Russia, Ukrainian forces are also trying to recapture territory.

A UK defence analyst told the BBC the fightback could force Moscow to change its tactics.

However, the latest assessment from the UK Ministry of Defence says Russian troops in Ukraine are moving in from the north and south to "envelop Ukrainian forces in the east of the country".

The note says "Russian forces are likely reorganising before resuming large-scale offensive operations".

• Thanks 1
  • Chamberlain
11 hours ago, Kath said:

Thanks dvernb

This text is not readable because the text is black on a black background.  I read some of it by highlighting it with the mouse.

My guess is that you're using the Chameleon Theme. Not all of the Themes work that great. I checked and Chameleon Theme is the only one that does that. The rest look OK.

I changed the background & text colors. Let's see if that helps!

• Thanks 2

spacer.png

Im sorry but I can't leave this unanswered.

I guess easiest way to take moral high ground is to blame someone who does not share your extremely biased point of view. It's happening exactly what i wrote what's going to happen. Let's just hope that they will use Mariupol as an example and stop there.

No, I do not support Russia, I pulled my personal project from Russia. Guess what, I do not support Ukraine either, they both suck. Ukraine oppressed minorities for years by not just by denying them education in own language but also actively repressing their culture and heritage. Ironically now those neighbors are letting them in.

I do not know a single country in Europe which incorporated literal neo-Nazi paramilitary group into armed forces beside Ukraine except maybe Russia and Wagner battle group. West is pretty much doing what they did in Afghanistan, arming an extremist group - and look how well i turned out last time.

This is nothing more but yet another proxy conflict between Russia and the States which got bit warmer for the Russia, Ukraine and it's people are going to pay the ultimate price. At this point I am not even sure If Ukraine is going to exist in not so distant future as a nation.

Btw "Slava Ukraini" was used by the Nazis during the ww2, you might as well use "Sieg Heil"

Edited by toxicweasel
  • Chamberlain
3 hours ago, toxicweasel said:

Ukraine oppressed minorities for years by not just by denying them education in own language but also actively repressing their culture and heritage. Ironically now those neighbors are letting them in.

West is pretty much doing what they did in Afghanistan, arming an extremist group - and look how well i turned out last time.

If you are going to make statements like this then you need to post supporting links! Where is this documented? 

Read the rules! Next time your post will be deleted!

I don't believe one word of it. The country of Ukraine was not in any way an extremist group. I also don't believe they oppressed minorities for years.

It is obvious to almost everyone in the entire world (except you) that Russia is the aggressor here! Not Ukraine!

The one with the extremely biased point of view here is you!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, dvernb said:

If you are going to make statements like this then you need to post supporting links! Where is this documented? 

Read the rules! Next time your post will be deleted!

I don't believe one word of it. The country of Ukraine was not in any way an extremist group. I also don't believe they oppressed minorities for years.

It is obvious to almost everyone in the entire world (except you) that Russia is the aggressor here! Not Ukraine!

The one with the extremely biased point of view here is you!

I would urge you to start using google before strawmaning me and please do not misrepresent what I wrote. I already stated my opinion on Russia and that should be enough for anyone who is willing to read instead of creating own narrative about my statement.

Here, this is page of Hungarian embassy in the states:

https://washington.mfa.gov.hu/eng/news/why-is-hungary-blocking-ukraines-nato-accession

If you make bit more effort you would be able to find much more!

Ukrainian Nazis now part of the armed forces:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion

Azov Battalion (until September 2014), is a neo-Nazi[2][3][4][5] former paramilitary group that is now a unit of the National Guard of Ukraine,[6][7][5] based in Mariupol,

Taliban weren't Afghanistan either, but now they surely are.

This has nothing to do if you believe in something or not, facts are facts. FACT that Russia is imperialistic aggressor does not change the FACT that Ukraine was and still is pretty bad in every imaginable sense. There is no single country in Europe that oppresses minorities in such manner nor it has literal Nazi's as a part of armed forces.

You can find and search evidence for everything else I stated on this forum regarding Ukraine.

• Chamberlain

Read the rules!

Rule # 1: Posts that contain statements of fact or contain data MUST HAVE A REFERENCE LINK or they will be deleted!! You must be able to back up what you say!! This is not a gossip column.

The onus is not on me to research your posts.

The onus is on you to back up what you say and now you have done that.

• Love 1
  • Chamberlain

Russia's failure to take Kyiv a defeat for the ages

Kyiv was a Russian defeat for the ages. The fight started poorly for the invaders and went downhill from there.

When President Vladimir Putin launched his war on Feb. 24 after months of buildup on Ukraine's borders, he sent hundreds of helicopter-borne commandos — the best of the best of Russia's “spetsnaz” special forces soldiers — to assault and seize a lightly defended airfield on Kyiv's doorstep.

Other Russian forces struck elsewhere across Ukraine, including toward the eastern city of Kharkiv as well as in the contested Donbas region and along the Black Sea coast. But as the seat of national power, Kyiv was the main prize. Thus the thrust by elite airborne forces in the war's opening hours.

But Putin failed to achieve his goal of quickly crushing Ukraine’s outgunned and outnumbered army. The Russians were ill-prepared for Ukrainian resistance, proved incapable of adjusting to setbacks, failed to effectively combine air and land operations, misjudged Ukraine’s ability to defend its skies, and bungled basic military functions like planning and executing the movement of supplies.

“That’s a really bad combination if you want to conquer a country,” said Peter Mansoor, a retired Army colonel and professor of military history at Ohio State University.

For now at least, Putin's forces have shifted away from Kyiv, to eastern Ukraine. Ultimately, the Russian leader may achieve some of his objectives. Yet his failure to seize Kyiv will be long remembered — for how it defied prewar expectations and exposed surprising weaknesses in a military thought to be one of the strongest in the world.

“It’s stunning,” said military historian Frederick Kagan of the Institute for the Study of War, who says he knows of no parallel to a major military power like Russia invading a country at the time of its choosing and failing so utterly.

On the first morning of the war, Russian Mi-8 assault helicopters soared south toward Kyiv on a mission to attack Hostomel airfield on the northwest outskirts of the capital. By capturing the airfield, also known as Antonov airport, the Russians planned to establish a base from which to fly in more troops and light armored vehicles within striking distance of the heart of the nation's largest city.

It didn’t work that way. Several Russian helicopters were reported to be hit by missiles even before they got to Hostomel, and once settled in at the airfield they suffered heavy losses from artillery fire.

An effort to take control of a military airbase in Vasylkiv south of Kyiv also met stiff resistance and reportedly saw several Russian Il-76 heavy-lift transport planes carrying paratroopers downed by Ukrainian defences.

Although the Russians eventually managed to control Hostomel airfield, the Ukrainians' fierce resistance in the capital region forced a rethinking of an invasion plan that was based on an expectation the Ukrainians would quickly fold, the West would dither, and Russian forces would have an easy fight.

Air assault missions behind enemy lines, like the one executed at Hostomel, are risky and difficult, as the U.S. Army showed on March 24, 2003, when it sent more than 30 Apache attack helicopters into Iraq from Kuwait to strike an Iraqi Republican Guard division. On their way, the Apaches encountered small arms and anti-aircraft fire that downed one of the helos, damaged others and forced the mission to be aborted. Even so, the U.S. military recovered from that setback and soon captured Baghdad.

The fact that the Hostomel assault by the Russian 45th Guards Special Purpose Airborne Brigade faltered might not stand out in retrospect if the broader Russian effort had improved from that point. But it did not.

The Russians did make small and unsuccessful probes into the heart of Kyiv, and later they tried at great cost to encircle the capital by arcing farther west. Against enormous odds, the Ukrainians held their ground and fought back, stalling the Russians, and put to effective use a wide array of Western arms, including Javelin portable anti-tank weapons, shoulder-fired Stinger anti-aircraft missiles and much more.

Last week the Russians abandoned Hostomel airfield as part of a wholesale retreat into Belarus and Russia.

A sidelight of the battle for Kyiv was the widely reported saga of a Russian resupply convoy that stretched dozens of miles along a main roadway toward the capital. It initially seemed to be a worrisome sign for the Ukrainians, but they managed to attack elements of the convoy, which had limited off-road capability and thus eventually dispersed or otherwise became a non-factor in the fight.

“They never really provided a resupply of any value to Russian forces that were assembling around Kyiv, never really came to their aid,” said Pentagon spokesman John Kirby. “The Ukrainians put a stop to that convoy pretty quickly by being very nimble, knocking out bridges, hitting lead vehicles and stopping their movement.”

Mansoor says the Russians underestimated the number of troops they would need and showed “an astonishing inability” to perform basic military functions. They vastly misjudged what it would take to win the battle for Kyiv, he says.

“This was going to be hard even if the Russian army had proven itself to be competent,” he said. “It’s proven itself to be wholly incapable of conducting modern armored warfare.”

Putin was not the only one surprised by his army’s initial failures. U.S. and other Western officials had figured that if the invasion happened, Russia’s seemingly superior forces would slice through Ukraine’s army like a hot knife through butter. They might seize Kyiv in a few days and the whole country in a few weeks, although some analysts did question whether Putin appreciated how much Ukraine's forces had gained from Western training that intensified after Putin's 2014 seizure of Crimea and incursion into the Donbas.

On March 25, barely a month after the invasion began, the Russians declared they had achieved their goals in the Kyiv region and would shift focus to the separatist Donbas area in eastern Ukraine. Some suspected a Putin ploy to buy time without giving up his maximalist aims, but within days the Kyiv retreat was in full view.

Putin may yet manage to refocus his war effort on a narrower goal of expanding Russian control in the Donbas and perhaps securing a land corridor from the Donbas to the Crimean Peninsula. But his failure in Kyiv revealed weaknesses that suggest Russia is unlikely to try again soon to take down the national capital.

“I think they learned their lesson,” said Mansoor.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/russia-s-failure-to-take-kyiv-a-defeat-for-the-ages-1.5850242

• Thanks 1
  • Winner 1

This is a great post dvernb... thank you.

My greatest worry now is ODESSA.

Eventually the great amount of war crimes committed in the Ukraine, the whole world has seen here in the west via coverage by brave reporters, is there for all to see. Even satellite photos prove that the denials from Russia about those atrocities are there, date stamped, prove they were committed by Russian soldiers.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/satellite-images-show-civilian-deaths-in-ukraine-town-while-it-was-in-russian-hands-maxar-1.5849354

• Thanks 2
  • Chamberlain

Ukraine says missiles seriously damage Russian warship, crew evacuates

Ukrainian forces said they hit and badly damaged the flagship of Russia's Black Sea fleet, and Russia said its crew was forced to evacuate as a result of a fire without acknowledging an attack, as the battle shifts east and around the battered city of Mariupol where the defenders were still holding out.

The governor of the Odesa region, Maksym Marchenko, said the Ukrainians struck the guided-missile cruiser Moskva with two missiles and caused "serious damage."

Russia's Defence Ministry confirmed the ship was damaged but not that it was hit by Ukraine — it said ammunition on board detonated as a result of a fire of as-yet undetermined causes. The entire crew was evacuated, it added; the cruiser typically has about 500 on board.

If confirmed, the sinking of the cruiser would be a major blow to Russia, after the tank carrier Orsk was hit and set on fire in an attack in Berdyansk in the Sea of Azov late last month.

More:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-war-russia-1.6419421

• Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Chamberlain

Russia cuts off gas to Poland and Bulgaria in escalation

Russia opened a new front in its war in Ukraine on Wednesday, cutting two European Union nations that staunchly back Kyiv off from its gas, a dramatic escalation in the conflict that is increasingly becoming a wider battle with the West.

One day after the United States and other Western allies vowed to speed more and better military supplies to Ukraine, the Kremlin upped the ante, using its most essential export as leverage. European gas prices shot up on the news, which European leaders denounced as “blackmail.”

In a memo, state-controlled Russian giant Gazprom said it was cutting Poland and Bulgaria off from its natural gas because they refused to pay in Russian rubles, as President Vladimir Putin had demanded. The company said it had not received any such payment since the beginning of the month.

The gas cuts do not immediately put the countries into dire trouble since they have worked on getting alternative sources for several years now and the continent is heading into summer, making gas not as essential for households.

Still, it sent shivers of worry through the 27-nation European Union, which immediately convened a special coordination group to limit the impact of the move.

On the ground too, the geopolitical fight intensified, with the Russian military claiming Wednesday that its missiles hit a batch of weapons that the U.S. and European nations delivered to Ukraine.

A day earlier, explosions rocked the separatist region of Trans-Dniester in neighbouring Moldova, knocking out two powerful radio antennas and raising fears the war could spill over Ukraine’s borders. No one claimed responsibility for the attacks — the second in as many days — but Ukraine all but blamed Russia.

And a Russian missile hit a strategic railroad bridge linking Ukraine’s Odessa port region to neighbouring Romania, a NATO member, Ukrainian authorities said.

Just across the border in Russia, an ammunition depot in the Belgorod region was burning early Wednesday after several explosions were heard, the governor, Vyacheslav Gladkov, said on the messaging app Telegram.

Gazprom’s decision to cut gas to two European countries was another dark turn in the war, which has revived the geopolitical rifts of the Cold War, and it had an immediate impact. European gas prices spiked 25%, with benchmark Dutch futures jumping from around 100 euros per megawatt hour to around 125 euros.

Fatih Birol, the executive director of the Paris-based International Energy Agency, called the move a “weaponization of energy supplies” in a tweet.

“Gazprom’s move to completely shut off gas supplies to Poland is yet another sign of Russia’s politicization of existing agreements & will only accelerate European efforts to move away from Russian energy supplies,” he wrote.

EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen called the move “yet another attempt by Russia to use gas as an instrument of blackmail.”

Bulgarian Prime Minister Kiril Petkov also called the suspension of gas deliveries blackmail and said it was “a gross violation of their contract.”

“We will not succumb to such a racket,” he added.

The stoppage marked “an historical turning point in the bilateral energy relationship” between Russia and Europe, said Simone Tagliapietra, senior fellow at the Bruegel think tank in Brussels.

On Tuesday, the U.S. defence chief urged Ukraine’s allies to “move at the speed of war” to get more and heavier weapons to Kyiv as Russian forces rained fire on eastern and southern Ukraine.

Poland, a historical rival of Russia, has been a major gateway for the delivery of weapons to Ukraine and confirmed this week that it is sending the country tanks. It said it was well prepared for Wednesday’s gas cutoff.

Poland also has ample natural gas in storage, and it will soon benefit from two pipelines coming online, analyst Emily McClain of Rystad Energy said.

Bulgaria gets over 90% of its gas from Russia, and officials said they were working to find other sources, such as from Azerbaijan.

Both countries had refused Russia’s demands that they pay in rubles, as have almost all of Russia’s gas customers in Europe.

Two months into the fighting, Western arms have helped Ukraine stall Russia’s invasion, but the country’s leaders have said they need more support fast.

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin convened a meeting Tuesday of officials from about 40 countries at the U.S. air base at Ramstein, Germany, and said more help is on the way.

“We’ve got to move at the speed of war,” Austin said.

After unexpectedly fierce resistance by Ukrainian forces thwarted Russia’s attempt to take Ukraine’s capital, Moscow now says its focus is the capture of the Donbas, the mostly Russian-speaking industrial area in eastern Ukraine.

In the gutted southern port city of Mariupol, authorities said Russian forces hit the Azovstal steel plant with 35 airstrikes over 24 hours. The plant is the last known stronghold of Ukrainian fighters in the city. About 1,000 civilians were said to be taking shelter there with an estimated 2,000 Ukrainian defenders.

Petro Andryushchenko, an adviser to Mariupol’s mayor, said Russia was using heavy bunker bombs. He also accused Russian forces of shelling a route they had offered as an escape corridor from the steel mill.

Ukraine also said Russian forces shelled Kharkiv, the country’s second-largest city, which lies outside the Donbas but is seen as key to Russia’s apparent bid to encircle Ukrainian troops in that region.

Ukrainian forces struck back in the Kherson region in the south.

The attack Tuesday on the bridge near Odessa — along with a series of strikes on key railroad stations a day earlier — appeared to signal a major shift in Russia’s approach. Until now, Moscow has spared strategic bridges, perhaps in hopes of keeping them for its own use in seizing Ukraine. But now it seems to be trying to thwart Ukraine’s efforts to move troops and supplies.

The southern Ukraine coastline and Moldova have been on edge since a senior Russian military officer said last week that the Kremlin’s goal is to secure not just eastern Ukraine but the entire south, so as to open the way to Trans-Dniester, a long, narrow strip of land with about 470,000 people along the Ukrainian border where about 1,500 Russian troops are based.

It was not clear who was behind the blasts in Trans-Dniester, but the attacks gave rise to fears that Russia is stirring up trouble so as to create a pretext to either invade Trans-Dniester or use the region as another launching point to attack Ukraine.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/russia-says-it-s-cutting-gas-to-poland-and-bulgaria-in-escalation-1.5877940

• Thanks 1

This is terrible DvernB.

It's getting very very serious now 😞

There is a line in the sand and it has already been crossed many times by Russia.

What to do?  It's a dilemma.

Is it gonna be nuclear war. It will destroy the world, it Putin that insane?

• Check 1

The world must support the threatened European countries with supplies of gas right now.  It's essential that terminals are built NOW.  Never again should Russia be part of the infrastructure of Europe... because, they cannot ever be trusted AGAIN.   Sorry folks, I combusted.

• Thanks 1
  • Chamberlain

Yes, and not just gas and oil and not just Russia.

There has been a hard lesson learned.

Countries the world over will be very wary in future of allowing themselves to become dependent on a single source and putting themselves in a position where they can be held for ransom!

Russia may very well be able to sell it's gas and oil to other sources besides the European Union but never again will they be trusted!

• Winner 1
  • Like 1

Russia spent 30 years gaining the trust of the rest of the world.  It was beginning to happen... Well, look what happened.

Putin threw it in our faces.  Trust is gone now with Russia, there will be no more trust ever again because Russia betrayed the trust we gave them.

A message to the Russian people, the whole world will come together to stop what your government is doing in Ukraine.

Do something about it to stop them, I know it's dangerous for you.  You are in the dark about what's going on.  News in the west is real, there is no fake rubbish.  All reports are true and accurate from press who put their lives on the line to bring the truth to you.

• Thanks 2

News in the west are real? is this some kind of joke?

News in the west are doing exactly the same thing as ones in Russia, fueling public rage and making sure that war goes on (beside usual thing, making sure to keep people deeply divided at home).

War in the Ukraine is the proxy conflict of west against Russia and vice versa, difference compared to some other wars is that Russian army is involved directly while west uses Ukrainians. The whole world will not come together, it didn't come together against fascism either. Is anyone really seeing India and China siding against Russia? That's more than 2bn of people. Add there other BRICKS countries and ones which are traditionally against the west. I don't think that Russians are in the dark as much as some people want to believe, apparently there is enough support (still) to keep this conflict going. They see it as something that had to be done in order to ensure survival of Russia, in reality it's resource grab. It's not a coincidence that regions which Russians are aiming at are rich in natural gas - Crimea and Donbas. They apparently want full control of black sea coastline.

In order to understand what I'm saying you have to check what was happening before the coup in 2014. The moment western companies started moving in the Russians organized separatists in the east. Stakes for Russia are too high now, I do not see them giving up unless revolutions happens. Knowing history this is a possibility, but also - knowing history revolution can bring something even worse than Putin.

Anyone remembers that I wrote how Grozny scenario is going to happen to Ukrainian cities?

Also regarding western media, by now I would have been expecting that Ukrainians have marched into Moscow, in reality Russians killed at least 20 000 civilians in Mariupol only. If you take into account rest of the country these numbers are getting disturbingly insane!

What's even more insane is fact that both countries have same origin in Kiev Russ! Basically the same people separated by less than a 1000 years!

Edited by toxicweasel
On 4/29/2022 at 11:44 PM, Kath said:

The world must support the threatened European countries with supplies of gas right now.  It's essential that terminals are built NOW.  Never again should Russia be part of the infrastructure of Europe... because, they cannot ever be trusted AGAIN.   Sorry folks, I combusted.

Sure.... the petrol barons will make sure that Europe has affordable energy source. Unless Europe shifts back to coal (btw this is already happening in Germany) economy will tank.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy/news/germany-reactivates-coal-power-plants-amid-russian-gas-supply-threats/

Expensive LNG will make European economy less competitive on world market. Without cheap energy Europe will be forced to outsource rest of the production most likely to Asia and mostly likely to countries which are still connected to Russia.

Unemployment will skyrocket and boom, you have deeper divide between rich and poor and most likely social unrest - a fertile soil for extremist ideas to flourish.

• Thanks 1

China is the true enemy of not only the West but the whole world. It is the most isolationist and racist country on earth. It has a monstrous ideology that is completely ignored. No country is safe from it. The way America and Russia have been portrayed by the media as the greatest threats to the world is the false narrative put forth by the Peoples Party. They manufacture every item on the shelves at home. They have bought politicians and the financial markets across the world with the unprecedented wealth from this monopoly on all industries. Wake up people. Stop goading the Russians into behaving the way China wants us to perceive them. Stop pushing Americans buttons at home and driving Americans further apart and away from the partnership it had with Russia until the past few years.

The problem is the stranglehold the Peoples Party has captured over the rest of the world will be almost impossible to break. Soon the Peoples Party will be the Global master of us all. May God have mercy on us all.

• Thanks 1

You are true to your nick Toxic. It's clear to all of us that you are a Russian sympathizer, shame on you, yes, you are.  

Europe will support Ukraine right down the line.  We will not let Russia trample Ukraine.  It's what we do.... we support countries that are threatened by aggressive neighbours who have nefarious reasons for their attacks.   It's seems to be rape and theft from what I have seen.

Here in the west, we care nothing for the Russian objections.  Russians are shielded from the real world... Unless you have a VPN.  Russian people..... You need a VPN 😉

18 minutes ago, Kath said:

You are true to your nick Toxic. It's clear to all of us that you are a Russian sympathizer, shame on you, yes, you are.  

Europe will support Ukraine right down the line.  We will not let Russia trample Ukraine.  It's what we do.... we support countries that are threatened by aggressive neighbours who have nefarious reasons for their attacks.   It's seems to be rape and theft from what I have seen.

Here in the west, we care nothing for the Russian objections.  Russians are shielded from the real world... Unless you have a VPN.  Russian people..... You need a VPN 😉

Sure, if this makes you feel righteous, I'm a Russian sympathizer for stating the facts. If I'm lying, prices in stores surely don't, add there expensive energy import - next president of France will be Le Pen, extremism in Europe is already on the rise as we can see. This war if lasts will sink European economy, China and most likely US will rise.

20 000 dead civilians in Mariupol, that's now this "support" looks like in real world. I see that you like to say "we", okay then... You are not supporting Ukraine, you are feeding the conflict which will kill more civilians, and send even more to exile - more than 5M at this point. According to UN. 12m is displaced. Real support is diplomacy or direct involvement, sending a weapons is a proxy war.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/20/more-than-5-million-ukrainians-have-fled-since-russian-invasion

No matter how much weapons YOU send, Ukraine will lose. It will lose more territory and more lives. If Russians can't march in, they will pulverize cities. That's what they did in ww2, that's what they did in Chechenya and this is what they do now.

How strong delusion has to be in order to make you believe how entire world is going to unite over Ukraine? It won't. World never united over anything. This strategy is supposed to weaken Russia and costs are lives of Ukrainians.

Keeps this in mind, Russia put itself into position they can't afford to lose. The more weapons Ukraine gets, the more brutal Russians will be. WE can see this curve rising since the beginning of war.

What can be done? Nothing! Things should have been done before the war. As things look right now, Ukraine will never be what it was, Russians won't just magically leave.

9 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

China is the true enemy of not only the West but the whole world. It is the most isolationist and racist country on earth. It has a monstrous ideology that is completely ignored. No country is safe from it. The way America and Russia have been portrayed by the media as the greatest threats to the world is the false narrative put forth by the Peoples Party. They manufacture every item on the shelves at home. They have bought politicians and the financial markets across the world with the unprecedented wealth from this monopoly on all industries. Wake up people. Stop goading the Russians into behaving the way China wants us to perceive them. Stop pushing Americans buttons at home and driving Americans further apart and away from the partnership it had with Russia until the past few years.

The problem is the stranglehold the Peoples Party has captured over the rest of the world will be almost impossible to break. Soon the Peoples Party will be the Global master of us all. May God have mercy on us all.

True, while US are Russia larp a cold war, china is creeping in everywhere.

• Thanks 1